Drop In Services
The Lower Hutt Women’s Centre
Women are welcome to ‘drop in’ to the Lower Hutt women’s centre. Anytime during our opening hours you are welcome to come by, just come straight down the hallway, into the kitchen where you can settle in. We offer a warm, dry, safe space for all women and children. The women’s centre is always a women’s only space.
New opportunities for Drop in services
Art as wellbeing
Come and join us at the Lower Hutt Women’s Centre
for creative art expression. Everything is provided.
When: Mondays between 11am – 1pm.
Where: Lower Hutt Women’s Centre
186 Knights Road, Waterloo
The creative arts therapies are a great way to
reconnect with your creativity. Belle will be providing
sessions with the planned use of 'art making' to
assist our wellbeing. She will use a range of creative
techniques such as drawing, painting, collage, or
colouring to help people express themselves
artistically and examine the psychological and
emotional undertones in their art.
About the facilitator
Belle is a trainee creative arts therapist from
Whitecliffe College, on placement at the Lower Hutt
Yin Yoga at the Lower Hutt Women’s Centre
When: Monday afternoons 1:30pm-2:30pm
Where: Women’s Centre, 186 Knights Road, Waterloo.
Call: 04 920 1009 to enrol
What should I bring?
A towel to lie on or yoga mat (if you have
one), a water bottle and wear loose
What is Yin Yoga?
Yin Yoga is rooted in Eastern (Chinese and
Indian) philosophy focussed on energy
systems within the body. The practice is
suitable for people of all abilities, even those
who have never tried yoga before. Yin poses
are calm and deep and held for longer (two
to seven minutes) than more common yoga
styles. They work with the energy meridians
in the body to increase flexibility, improve
joint mobility and connect with your body’s
About the instructor
Jazz is a recently qualified Yin Yoga teacher
who has worked as a Social Worker in the past. Jazz lives locally with her
family and is offering these sessions to the centre community for free.
What women can do when they drop in
- Computers – the centre has two computers for women to use.
- Volunteers – Often there is a volunteer available for women to talk to. You may be after a listening ear or after information on resources available to you. Our volunteers can help with that.
- Tea/ coffee – There is always free hot drinks available.
- Space to chill – The centre is a safe space, where all women and children are welcome to spend time just chilling out and being themselves.
- Wifi – We have free wifi available for women to access
- Information / pamphlets – There are are pamphlets available for women browse. If you can’t find what you are after, one of our volunteers may be able to help you.
- Donation box – Women are welcome add, or take from, our donation box, which is located in our hallway. We accept small donations such as clothings and toys. All women are welcome to browse through the donation box, there are no requirements for accessing it, please just take what you need.
- Library – If you are a member of the Lower Hutt Women’s centre you are welcome to browse the library. Which is located in one of the rooms in the house.