Drop In Services
The Lower Hutt Women’s Centre
Women are welcome to ‘drop in’ to the Lower Hutt women’s centre anytime during our opening hours. Just come straight down the hallway, into the kitchen where you can settle in. We offer a warm, dry, safe space for all women and children. The women’s centre is always a women only space.
New opportunities for Drop in services
Yin Yoga for Women (16+)
When: Monday afternoons 1:00pm-2:00pm, Thursday evenings 7:00pm-8:00pm
Where: Women’s Centre, 186 Knights Road, Waterloo.
Call: 04 920 1009 to enrol, bookings essential
What should I bring?
A towel to lie on or yoga mat (if you have one), a water bottle and wear loose
What is Yin Yoga?
Yin Yoga is rooted in Eastern (Chinese and Indian) philosophy focussed on energy
systems within the body. The practice is suitable for people of all abilities, even those
who have never tried yoga before. Yin poses are calm and deep and held for longer (two
to seven minutes) than more common yoga styles. They work with the energy meridians
in the body to increase flexibility, improve joint mobility and connect with your body’s
About the instructor:
Jazz is a recently qualified Yin Yoga teacher
who has worked as a Social Worker in the past. Jazz lives locally with her
family and is offering these sessions to the centre community for free.
Art for Wellbeing (ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)
Come and join us at the Lower Hutt Women’s Centre for creative art expression.
Cost: Free. Everything is provided.
When: Mondays 10.30am – 12.30pm.
Where: Lower Hutt Women’s Centre
186 Knights Road, Waterloo
The creative arts therapies are a great way to reconnect with your creativity. In these sessions Belle will be providing a range of creative techniques such as drawing, painting, collage, or colouring to help people express themselves artistically and assist wellbeing. These sessions can help you to understand how to use art for relaxation and restoration.
About the facilitator:
Belle is a trainee creative arts therapist from
Whitecliffe College, on placement at the Lower Hutt Women’s Centre.
What women can do when they drop in
- Computers – the centre has two computers for women to use.
- Volunteers – Often there is a volunteer available for women to talk to. You may be after a listening ear or after information on resources available to you. Our volunteers can help with that.
- Tea/ coffee – There is always free hot drinks available.
- Space to chill – The centre is a safe space, where all women and children are welcome to spend time just chilling out and being themselves.
- Wifi – We have free wifi available for women to access
- Information / pamphlets – There are are pamphlets available for women browse. If you can’t find what you are after, one of our volunteers may be able to help you.
- Donation box – Women are welcome add, or take from, our donation box, which is located in our hallway. We accept small donations such as clothings and toys. All women are welcome to browse through the donation box, there are no requirements for accessing it, please just take what you need.
- Library – If you are a member of the Lower Hutt Women’s centre you are welcome to browse the library. Which is located in one of the rooms in the house.